Summer Graduate Writing Institute
Meeting the month of July, the Summer Graduate Writing Institute provides intensive instruction, workshops, and a community of practice where everyone is writing. During this month, students typically write a short literature review if they are incoming students or perhaps a proposal or half a chapter if they are continuing students. The GS 760: Dissertation Workshop and GS 770: Writing Residency courses serve continuing students. The GS 750: Introduction to Graduate Writing and GS 740: Orientation to Graduate Study courses are both designed for students early in their graduate careers or just beginning graduate studies. The courses consist of both classroom and individualized components. KU and GWP faculty and staff members also field workshops throughout the Institute on topics that support writing. Space is made available for writing when classes are not in session.
Though writing is the focus of the Summer Institute, this activity doesn't have to be done in isolation. In this vein, we also hold five social events during the month including the Kick-off breakfast and welcome and four common lunches. These events allow students to connect with other writers and share common experiences. To cover the cost of these events, each student is asked to pay a small fee when enrolling.
Workshop Schedule 2010 (doc)
Workshop Schedule 2011 (doc)
Workshop Schedule 2012 (doc)
Continuing KU Students:
- Contacts us at firstname.lastname@example.org with either a request or a completed application.
- If not already completed, we will send you an application or refer you to the application on the website.
- Once the application is received we require a fee for food and supplies.
- We then send a permission number needed to enroll.
NEW STUDENTS (Students who have been admitted to KU for graduate degrees beginning in the fall but want to attend the Institute in July)
Domestic and International (Departments need to admit students early):
- Contact the GWP staff at email@example.com and indicate whether you will have degree status or not.
- Staff will send an application to you.
- To begin the early admission process, contact your department and ask if you can be admitted early to take part in the Institute.
- The department will contact GAP-C. Please ask your department contact to copy the
GWP on the email. Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GAP-C will notify us when the admission is complete so we can facilitate the rest of the enrollment process.
- Once you have returned the application and the fee for food and supplies, we send a permission to enroll number.